* This blog post contains affiliate links, from which I receive a small commission if you purchase from the link*
I know you are here for the free pattern, so I won't bother you with a diary post about it. I just want to say really quickly that I'm sooo very happy for you to enjoy this pattern for free on the blog, but if you want a printable PDF of this pattern you can find it on my Etsy shop here.
Through the month of April, 50% of all Modern Made Shop proceeds are being donated to Feeding America to support those affected by COVID-19, in any of the multitude of ways it has caused pandemonium in our communities. If you feel called to support me in this effort, know that your pattern purchase of $5.00 will provide 25 meals through Feeding America.
Back to the pattern:
SKILL LEVEL: Intermediate
SIZE: About 17 L x 7 H x 8.5 D in. (43.18 L x 17.78 H x 21.59 D cm)
- 5 Skeins of Lion Brand Yarn, Hometown USA, in Los Angeles Tan (color A)
- 1 Skein of Lion Brand Yarn, Hometown USA, in New York White (color B)
- stitch marker
A NOTE ABOUT YARN
You can use whatever Super Bulky weight yarn you damn well please. There is no real need to use Hometown USA in particular. If you want to learn more about Hometown USA to determine if you want to use it for this project, I wrote a yarn review here.
If this helps your yarn shopping, Hometown USA has 81 yds in a skein. So you will need about 405 yds of color A, and 81 yds of color B.
11 sts and 12 rows = about 4 x 4 in. (10 x 10 cm) over pattern Rows 1-12. BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR GAUGE.
ch = chain
st(s) = stitch(es)
pm = place marker
sk = skip
yo = yarn over
sc = single crochet
csc = center single crochet
ss = slip stitch
scblo = single crochet back-loop-only
rss = reverse slip stitch
1. To switch colors mid-stitch, work the center single crochet as indicated below: Insert hook into center of stitch in row below Yarn over (yo) with color 1, pull through loop Yo with color 2, pull through 2 loops.
2. The majority of this pattern is worked with 2 colors. To make color transitions seamless, the pattern continuously utilizes the technique of carrying yarn from round 3 (not to be confused with row 3) to round 19. Carrying is accomplished by working sts around the inactive strand of yarn so that the yarn is neatly held and hidden inside the stitch. Be sure to pull the inactive strand taught to keep sts neat.
3. In round 20, the pattern switches to using color A alone. Drop color B in round 20. Cut the strand free from the skein, leaving a tail long enough to weave in the end.
Center single crochet (csc): Worked exactly like a single crochet, but in a different space than a traditional sc. Insert hook into the “center” of the stitch (between the “v” shape) rather than the top two loops.
1. Insert hook into center of stitch in row below
2. Yarn over (yo), pull through loop 3. Yo, pull through 2 loops
Single crochet back-loop-only (scblo): Worked exactly like a single crochet, but only in the back loop of the stitch in row below.
1. Insert hook into back loop of stitch in row below
2. Yo, pull through loop
3. Yo, pull through 2 loops
Reverse slip stitch (rss): Worked exactly like a slip stitch, but the hook is inserted from behind into the st in row below.
1. Insert hook from back to front
2. Yo, pull through loops
With color A, Chain 27.
Begin Base Row 1: In second ch from hook, single crochet (sc). Sc into each ch across. Ch 1, turn. (26 sc) Rows 2- 44: Work 1 center single crochet (csc) into each st in row below. Ch 1, turn. (26 csc) Row 45: Work 1 csc into each st in row below. Do not ch 1 or turn. (26 csc).
Begin Body Round 1: Slip stitch (ss) into each st around the perimeter. Place marker (pm) in last st. Ch 1, turn. (142 ss) Round 2: Single crochet back-loop-only (scblo) into each st around. Pm in last st. Do not turn. (142 scblo) Round 3: * Hold strand of color B horizontally across the top of the last row. Working around the strand of color B so that the yarn is neatly held and hidden inside the st, work 3 csc with color A, switching mid-st to color B on the third st (see note 1). Work 1 csc with color B (see note 2), switching mid-st to color A. Repeat from * 10 times. Work 2 csc with color A. Pm in last st. (142 csc) Round 4: With color A, work 1 csc, switching mid-stitch to color B. *With color B, work 1 csc, switching mid-st to color A. With color A, work 3 csc, switching mid-st to color B on the third st. Repeat from * 10 times. On the last st, do not switch mid- st to color B. With color A, work 1 csc. Pm in last st. (142 csc) Rounds 5-19: Repeat rounds 3 and 4, ending with round 3.
Round 20: From this point forward, no longer carry the inactive color (see note 3). With color A, csc into next 8 sts. Ch 15. Sk 10 sts. Csc into next 61 sts. Ch 15. Sk 10 sts. Csc into the next 53 sts. Pm in last st. (122 csc, 30 ch) Round 21: Csc into next 8 sts. 15 sc into ch-sp. Csc into next 61 sts. 15 sc into ch-space. Csc into the next 53 sts. Pm in last st. (122 csc, 30 sc) Round 22: Reverse slip stitch in each st around. Fasten off. (152 rss) Weave in yarn ends.